Do I need a certified translation of my driving licence?

Published on 01/09/2021

Since you ended up on this page, you probably need a certified translation of a driving licence, but you might not know how to start.

In previous articles I mentioned that every official document requires a translation stamped by a certified translator. Those translators are recognised by a legal public body, like the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

So, does a driving licence require a certified translation? In this article I will tell you everything you need to know before requesting your quote. If you are still not sure after reading this article, you can always contact us personally. We will be happy to guide you through the process.

1. Do I really need a certified translation for a driving licence?

The driving licence, also known as a driver’s licence or permit, authorises the holder to drive certain types of vehicles according to different factors.

The driving licence is a document issued by transport authorities. However, this varies depending on the issuing country. For example, in the Mexico there is no generalised federal document for the whole territory. Instead, each state issues permits independently.

This is similar to what happens in the United States, where it also serves as government-issued identification document, since there is nothing similar to the DNI.

Since it’s obvious that a driving licence is an official document issued by public bodies, it’s necessary to submit a certified translation if required.

2. When do you have to translate your licence?

The certified translation of a driving licence is one of the most popular services for those who travel a lot.


That’s quite simple. If your driving licence is in a language other than the official language of the country where you intend to drive, you will need a translation.

In other words, if you want to drive abroad the official language is not e. g. English, you will have to translate your licence.

But driving is not the only thing. There are many reasons why you might need to translate your driving licence:

  • Car insurance
  • Long-term car rental
  • Traffic accident prosecutions

3. What you need to consider

If your licence was issued in a EU member state and you want to drive within the EU, you do not need to do anything at all. Just make sure it is not out of date or damaged.

According to the European model, driving licences issued by the EU do not require a certified translation or additional documentation. The same agreement is valid between the European Union and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway).

On the other hand, if the country where your licence was issued is not an EU-member state, you need to consider some things. You need to make sure that your licence has been valid for at least 6 months and you must provide a certified translation.
If you have a non European driving licence, it may not be recognised in the EU-country you want to drive in.

4. Apostille and legalisation of driving licences

Whether it is an international model of the driving licence, or a standard country-specific licence with certified translation you do not need an apostille or additional legalisation for this document.

5. How can I get a quote for the translation of my driving licence?

You only need to send us a scan of your driving license. Our translation agency offers th best certified translation services. You can also send us a legible photo via our online quotation platform. We will start right away with you certified translation.

We will get in touch with you to discuss all necessary details, like payment and delivery.

Other articles you may be interested in:

Add new comment